I love salads! Who else does? Especially because you can add everything to a salad, and all of the sudden BOOM, you have an amazing salad. Like this Roasted Sweet Potato and Pumpkin Fall Salad. Perfect for any occasion, super easy to prepare once the ingredients are ready, and nutritious.
The best part is that you get so many different vitamins and nutrients for your body. All the health benefits of greens, nuts, mushrooms, onions, spices, etc. And guess what? you can have unlimited amounts, hehe.
So before we jump into the recipe, let’s quickly go over the ingredients. So that you get the perfect salad, and also acquire more knowledge of the importance of eating greens <3.
We all know that vegetables and plants are very important for your health, right? But leafy greens are crucial for your diet. Why? They are packed with vitamins, nutrients, fiber, and low in calories.
Eating a diet rich in leafy greens offers numerous health benefits, including reduced risk of obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure, and mental decline.
So, what greens can you include in this Roasted Pumpkin and Sweet Potato salad and any other future salad or meal you prepare?
- Kale: One of the most nutrient dense vegetables on the planet!
- Spinach: A single cup of raw spinach provides with 181% of the DV for vitamin K, 56% of vitamin A, and 13% of manganese. Amazing, right?
- Arugula: It’s packed with nutrients such as pro-vitamin A carotenoids and vitamins B9 and K
- Watercress: Can be beneficial in targeting cancer stem cells and impairing cancer cell reproduction and invasion.
- Cabbage: Research studies show that cabbage might have anti-cancer properties.
- Lettuce: Great source of vitamins A and K, with one cup (47 grams) providing 82% and 60% of the DVs for these vitamins respectively
- And many more…
Not to mention, the other ingredients (walnuts, mushrooms, onions, etc) provide with many other nutrients such us fiber, protein, vitamin C, etc.
If you want more ideas for pumpkin recipes, go check out:
Now, let’s get started and prepare this delicious Fall Salad.
Roasted Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Fall Salad
- Baking Tray
- 1 cup kabocha squash (cubed)
- 1 large sweet potato (cubed
- 1/2 cup nuts of your choice (almonds, walnuts, cashews, etc)
- 1 TB coconut oil
- 1 small white onion (sliced)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/3 cup mushrooms (chopped)
- 4-5 cups greens of your choice (spinach, arugula, lettuce) In my case I used spinach and arugula.
- 1 apple (cubed)
- 1 TB basil (divided)
- 1 TB paprika (divided)
- 1 TB oregano (divided)
- salt as needed
- 1 TB coconut oil (divided)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 lime juice of 1 lime
- 1 2 oranges juice from 2 oranges
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbsp white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- pink himalayan salt (as needed)
- 1/4 tbsp ground pepper (optional)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Sweet Potato and Squash
- Preheat oven to 400F (204C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, aluminium, or place coconut spray to avoid sticking.
- Peel and chop the sweet potato and squash. Now, place them on the baking sheet and all the spices (salt, paprika, oregano, pepper, basil). Use your hands to combine all spices.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then turn the sweet potato and squash over and bake for another 15 minutes. The time to cook the squash and sweet potatoes depends also on the size of the cubes. So, it can take between 35-50 minutes. Poke a fork to check if they are soft and not hard anymore.
- On a different tray, place parchment paper or coconut spray oil to avoid sticking. Add the nuts of your choice and the spices (salt, paprika, oregano, pepper, basil). Bake the nuts for about 15-20 minutes at 400F(204C).
- Place the apple cubes into another small baking tray. Add maple syrup. Bake the apples for about 15-20 minutes as well at 400F(204C).
- Add coconut onions, white sliced onions, and maple syrup or brown sugar. Mix well. Cook for about 5 minutes and then turn off the heat.
- Add coconut oil, then garlic, then the mushrooms. Add the spices of your choice (salt, pepper, paprika, oregano). Cook for about 5 minutes and then turn off the heat.
- Add the lime juice, orange juice, maple syrup, olive oil, vinager, and salt & pepper. Mix well and add more maple syrup, salt, or lime. Depending on the flavor you want to obtain.
- Add your greens (spinach, arugula, lettuce, etc), add the walnuts, squash, sweet potato, mushrooms, onions, apples. Add the dressing and mix well. Serve it with avocado or any other topping you prefer. ENJOY!