Peruvian cuisine is so diverse in flavors, textures, condiments, superfoods, etc. We have an incredible range of delicious desserts that come from different parts of the country. There is no doubt that Peruvian cuisine is one of the best, if not the best in the world. For eight consecutive years, we have been ranked the number one culinary destination in the world. This is why today, I want to teach you how to prepare this delicious Peruvian Dulce de Leche Pionono (Dulce de Leche Roll).
For this delicious recipe, you will need very simple ingredients, nothing complicated. To create a healthier version, I used organic coconut sugar ,which is not refined, and organic eggs. Also, I prepared my own dulce de leche (manjar). You can find the recipe here, or you can buy one from the store if you prefer.
But remember that if you have time, is better to prepare everything from scratch. That way you avoid any hidden chemicals or preservatives, and the flavor is even more delicious. You can also save some dulce de leche to enjoy with your favorite fruits, cookies, bread, or by itself hehe.
I would recommend to prepare at least two cans to have enough dulce de leche for this dessert. Otherwise, you won’t taste the dulce de leche as much. And you want to make sure you can taste that delicious manjar (dulce de leche).
As always, I encourage you to send me an email or leave me a comment if you have any questions or want to share about your experience preparing this delicious dessert.
Let’s start cooking and prepare this delicious Peruvian Dulce de Leche Pionono! Take this moment for YOU. To be creative, to trust yourself in the process, to laugh, and enjoy every bit of the process.
Peruvian Dulce de Leche Pionono
- Electric mixer
- Baking Tray
- Parchement paper (optional)
- 6 TB all purpose flour
- 6 TB organic coconut sugar or sugar of your choice
- 1 TB warm water
- 5 egg whites
- 5 egg yolks
- 1-2 cups dulce de leche
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven 350F
- Get all your ingredients ready. Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks and have everything ready on measurement cups and spoons.
- Start by sifting your flour and pinch of salt two times. It is important that your sift these ingredients for at least two times to create a spongy consistency. Set apart
- On a large bowl, add the eggs whites and mix them using a hand electric machine. Add the warm water. Now add the egg yolks one by one while mixing.
- Add the coconut sugar, one spoon at a time while continue mixing. Then add the vanilla essence.
- Then add the flour, one spoon at a time while mixing the batter with the electric mixer
- Once the batter is ready, spray a baking tray with coconut oil or any other spray oil to avoid sticking.
- Add the batter and spread it equally. Place it on the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Now, using a knive or spoon, remove the cake roll from the baking tray. Add as much dulce the leche as you would like using a spread knive or spoon.
- Using a wet towe and your hands, wrap the roll to give it the shape of a "pionono."
- Cut the ends (optional, and place it on the fridge for at least 30 mins. Finally, pour some powdered sugar on top.