Who is in the mood for some muffins? Especially when they are Chocolate and Coconut Muffins! And you know what’s the best part? They are dairy free as well. Even better because I strongly believe the should reduce or eliminate our diary intake as much as possible. I know, it might sound impossible to some people, but trust me, it is about replacing.
I’m not telling you to stop eating cheese or drink milk ever. Because I would also be lying to myself and others. What I recommend is for you to try to reduce your dairy intake as much as possible. Which means that if you have a party or special event, yes of course go ahead if that’s the only thing you can eat. But try to not make it part of your everyday diet.
Especially because nowadays, we have so many plant-based and nut milks (coconut milk, almond milk, oat milk, etc.) And the best part is that you can make your own milks to ensure the quality is the highest and save some extra cash.
Besides being delicious, these muffins are also more nutritious than other muffins. WHY? Because we are using the best possible ingredients to ensure our body stays happy and healthy.
We are also using chia seeds which add some extra nutrients, such us antioxidants, fiber, protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and many more!
You might be asking yourself, how did you add the chia seeds? Well, let me explain it to you in the next paragraph.
The chia seeds would be our egg replacer. If you don’t have chia seeds, you can also add flax seeds. Chia seeds are a great replacement for eggs in baking. They provide the same texture and moist and egg would.
How do you create a chia “egg”? Very easy my friend, you would only need about 1 TB of chia seeds with 3 TB of warm water. That’s it!
Instead of using regular all purpose flour, we will be using oat flour. Which means these are also gluten-free muffins. You can buy it at the store or prepare your own in your house. In my case, I prepared my own flour for these muffins.
How? I added about 1 1/2 – 2 cups of rolled oats into my blender and got my flour. You can use a blender or food processor for better results.
To check out other muffin recipes and oatmeal recipes, head over to:
I’m sure you are going to love these recipes!
Well, let’s cook our delicious Chocolate and Coconut Muffins
Chocolate and Coconut Muffins
- 2 Bowls
- Machine or Hand Mixer (Preferably Machine)
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk room temperature
- 3/4 cup organic brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup oat flour you can make your own or buy it at the store
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cacao powder
- 1 TB baking soda
- 1 TB baking powder
- 1 TB chia seeds
- 3 TB warm water
- 1 tbsp vainilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven at 350F (177C)
- First prepare your chia "egg" by mixing the chia seeds with the water. Let it sit for about 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime, on a bowl, add the coconut milk, coconut oil, vainilla extract and sugar. Use a hand machine preferably to mix it well. Please, make sure your coconut milk is at room temperature and that you can shake it well to incorporate the fat with the water.
- On a different bowl, sift the oat flour, cacao powder, baking soda, and baking powder
- Now add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well. Add the chia "egg" and continue mixing well to incorporate all the flavors. Make sure to don't over mix it, so that the texture is not the chewy. If you are using the hand mixer, mix it longer to incorporate all the flavors. But if you are using the machine mixer, do not increase the speed at the highest level.
- Now, add the chocolate chips and shredded coconut. Mix well.
- Lastly, add the mixture in 12 paper muffins. Add the mixture only half way on each muffins. I promise they will rise after we bake them.
- Bake muffins for 12-15 minutes. Once ready, let them cool down. ENJOY!