Well, today was one of those days where I just wanted to eat soup. Soup can be a great source of vitamins and nutrients to your body. Especially when you are feeling a little bit down, sick, or maybe you just want to recharge your energies. And this is why I created this delicious Beans and Vegetables Soup.
In Peru, we have a traditional Beans Soup that contains meat, bacon, and sometimes even milk. However, as you know, I love creating recipes that do not contain any meat or dairy, but that also taste delicious. Especially because you do not need to eat meat or dairy every day and in every meal.
In addition to adding vegetables and legumes, I also added some herbs to enhance the flavor and add additional nutrients.
Let’s do a quick recap of the amazing benefits of beans and why you should implement them to your life and eat them more often.
Health benefits of beans
- Are Great source of non-animal protein: They are high on amino acids which are the building blocks of protein. Beans are an excellent source of protein for vegans and vegetarians. And contain less saturated fat than dairy products.
- Are High in nutrients: Beans contain a high amount of folate among other nutrients. Eating folate can help prevent neural tube defects in a fetus during pregnancy.
- Can Reduce risk of cancer: Some studies have shown that beans could reduce the risk of cancer because they act as antioxidants and anti-inflammatories.
- Help with Diabetes and Glucose: They can help prevent diabetes and lower blood glucose due to its high amount of fiber.
- Can Protect the Heart: Studies suggest the correlation between people who eat beans and the reduce risk of coronary diseases.
Now that you have a better idea of why you should eat more beans, let’s prepare this delicious Beans and Vegetables Soup. I’m sure you are going to love it!
Beans and Vegetables Soup
- Large Cooking Pot
- 4-5 cups cooked beans (soaked your beans overnight, wash them and cook them)
- 4 large carrots (chopped)
- 1 large red onion
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 6-8 small white potatoes
- 1-2 large zucchinis
- 200 g organic brown rice and quinoa pasta or the pasta of your choice. Add more pasta if you would like more of it in your soup.
- 2 cup uncooked corn
- 1 TB paprika
- 2 TB turmeric
- salt as needed
- 2 TB oregano
- 4 basil leaves
- 2 TB coconut oil
- 6 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 TB minced ginger
- 3-5 cups water
- First cook your beans for about 25 minutes after they have been soaked and washed previously. Turn off the heat, but keep the water of the beans.
- Now, on your large pot, add coconut oil, garlic, and ginger. Sauteed for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the onions, and mix well. Sauteed these for another 2 minutes. Add about 1 TB of turmeric, 1/2 tbsp of parika, and 1 TB of oregano. Mix well.
- Now, add your vegetables (potatoes, sweet potato, zucchini, and any other veggies of your choice that need to be cooked for a longer time) For example, squash.
- Add enough water to cover the vegetables. Cover the cooking pot with a lid and let the vegetables cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add the beans with its own water. Add more water to the soup (basically until you get the consistency of a soup). Not too much water, not too little. Depends on how you like it as well. Mix well
- Now add the pasta and corn. Let it cook for another 15 minutes OR until the pasta is fully cooked.
- Lastly, add more salt, more turmeric, and oregano.