Oatmeal (Porridge) is one of my favorite go-to breakfast. Especially when I run out of ideas on what to have for breakfast. Hmmmm, is that even possible? To run out of ideas? Maybe no, hehe, but sometimes I just want a quick, simple, and delicious breakfast that I can put on a pot and have it ready within minutes. I created this delicious Almond Milk & Coconut Yogurt Oatmeal (Porridge) in less than 10 minutes.
To make it even more delicious, I added some extra spices, fresh fruit, and peanut butter as toppings. The result was AMAZING! I never thought that including yogurt could be such a great idea. Especially because you get a creamier and thicker consistency than usual.
Before we jump into the recipe, I would like you to learn more about the benefits of oats, and why you should include them in your diet.
- Oats can help you control weight gain by keeping you full longer and reducing appetite by a compound called B-glucan
- They can help you reduce blood pressure and your cholesterol
- Oats shield your skin. Whether you eat them or use them as face masks or skin care products, they do wonders to your skin
- They can help you lower your risk of colon cancer due to their high fiber content
- Oats can help stabilize blood sugar
- They are high in antioxidants
- Oats are naturally gluten free. However, always check the ingredients and the company to ensure they did not mix the oats with other ingredients that contain gluten.
And many more incredible benefits! To dig deeper into the benefits of oats check out my Banana and Blueberry Oatmeal. Another great recipe where I discuss the benefits of oats, and also teach you to prepare another delicious oatmeal recipe.
Now, lets get started and prepare this delicious Almond Milk & Coconut Yogurt Oatmeal (Porridge). For the toppings, I used:
- Hemp seeds
- Peanut butter
- And fresh fruit
Almond Milk and Coconut Yogurt Oatmeal (Porridge)
- Small Pot
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 almond milk
- 2 TB coconut yogurt or any other plant based yogurt
- 1/2 tsp unsweetened cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp grounded cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp grounded pumpkin optional
- 1 TB chia seeds
- 1 tsp hemp seeds
- fresh fruit for toppings
- honey, maple syrup or any other sweetener of your choice if you opt to add sugar Try to use unrefined sugar
- 1 whole cinnamon stick optional for additional cinnamon flavor
- In a small pot, add the water, uncooked oats, cacao powder, pumpkin powder, and cinnamon, and chia seeds. Stir well and let it cook for about 5-7 mins
- Once the oats are fully cooked, add the almond milk and coconut yogurt.
- Serve and add your favorite toppings (Fresh fruit, nuts, almond or peanut butter, hemp seeds, etc).